Friday, October 14, 2011

Taking the Mystery out of Kabocha Squash

Today we added a new stop to our delivery route, and I met a wonderful woman who I'm hoping becomes a satisfied, long-term customer. We were casually discussing Daisy's Delivery, and I was explaining how the price list is updated and emailed each Monday. My new friend asked if the items on our weekly price list change often. I replied that the majority of items stay about the same, but as the seasons come and go, we also see some varieties of our fresh produce come and go. I told her how we had recently started carrying some of our fall squashes, like Kabocha Squash. At the mention of Kabocha Squash, she had a bit of a puzzled look on her face, but I assured her that she wasn't alone in being unfamiliar with Kabocha...and we preceded to talk about how it's fun to try new foods. We even joked a little that it might be fun to add a "mystery item" to our weekly price list in order to convince customers to "think outside the box." Wouldn't it be curious, for instance, to get a vegetable in with your delivery order that's a little out-of-the-ordinary and requires some creativity in the kitchen...

I confess that Kabocha Squash was new to me as well a year or so ago. However, we did some research and found a simple recipe for delicious Oven Roasted Kabocha Squash. The most difficult thing about this recipe is cutting the squash into wedges as the skin, though edible, is rather thick. After that, it's easy to just add a little salt, pepper, and oil, and roast until the squash is soft.

So as you head to Findlay Market this week, think about trying something new. And as I'm planning for next week's email update, I'll be thinking about a "mystery item." What do you think? If a "mystery item" on our produce list was $2, would you be daring enough to try it?

No comments:

Post a Comment