Wednesday, March 17, 2010

March Madness at Findlay Market


I love March Madness and the NCAA basketball tournament. I think it began in 1978 when I was a student at Miami University and saw the Redskins upset defending champion Marquette in an opening round game. My interest grew in 1980 when I went to Dayton to watch some first round games. I didn't really know any of the teams I watched, but I was enthralled with the spirit of the fans and the competition of the games...and so I was hooked.
Since those first tournament games, I've watched hours of CBS coverage, travelled to several other tournament sites, submitted applications in hopes of getting Final Four tickets, and religiously filled out my bracket when March rolled around. Our family has always had a friendly competition for bracket bragging rights, and that tradition continues year to year in spite of the fact that our son is away at college and our high school daughter has many other interests besides basketball.
Society, as a whole, has also embraced the concept of March Madness. Office pools and game-watching parties are the norm. TV, radio, print media, and the internet have exploded with advertisements, updates, and reports about the games. Maybe it really is a little madness...But it sure is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment