Thursday, May 24, 2012

When in Rome...

Although it may seem like everyone is buzzing about it lately, the World Choir Games are definitely a point of interest for me. When I was a sophomore in high school at Winton Woods, I was lucky enough to travel to China in WWHS's Varsity Ensemble to sing at a Choral Prelude to the Beijing Olympics. It was an eye-opening, life-changing experience for all 46 students that went, and I can relate to the excitement the choral students all over the world that are able to travel to Cincinnati are feeling.
Like us, many of them are going to see things they have never seen before, hear genres of music they didn't know existed, and, most importantly, taste things they have never tasted before.
Real Chinese food is not like Chinese takeout in the states. Don't get me wrong, we had some fabulous meals (I especially enjoyed the ceremonious breaking of a duck's neck next to the dinner table), but my picky-eater-high-school-self was a little tired of white rice at every meal for 10 days. Surely the visitors during the choir games will taste food that they love, hate, and will never be able to duplicate. Which do you think will be which? For me, in China, I loved the meal comprised of 12 different kinds of pot stickers and dipping sauces, hated a few mystery meats, and will never break a duck's neck at my dinner table. I have a feeling there will be a lot of hamburger-lovers, a few Skyline-haters, and hopefully a lot of defining, unique culinary experiences during the choirs' stay in Cincinnati.

Written by Emily Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment