Thursday, January 6, 2011

Mom Was Right About Oranges

I've always told my family to drink lots of orange juice when they feel a cold coming on. I'm pretty sure I got that wisdom from my own mother who probably got it from her mother. As it turns out, it's not an "old wives' tale" or "old moms' tale" after all. Oranges are loaded with health benefits.
A single orange can fulfill about 100% of the daily requirement for Vitamin C, and research has shown that the flavonoids, or plant nutrients, found in an orange are potentially beneficial to the human body. The flavonoids trigger enzymes that fight disease so oranges really do offer immune support. In addition, studies have shown that the white part under the peel of an orange may be a good antioxidant.  Additional research says that oranges may lower cholesterol, prevent ulcers, improve eyesight, and help with digestion. Since they come in their own little package that's easy to peel, oranges are a handy snack and can serve as a quick thirst quencher whether eaten whole or squeezed for the juice.
You'll find lots of creative recipes that use citrus fruit on the Sunkist website. You can get everything you need at Findlay Market to make many of those recipes.  If you shop on Thursday, January 6 and spend at least $15 at Daisy Mae's Market, we'll even toss in some oranges for free. I'm tempted to try Blood Orange and Roasted Butternut Squash Kale Salad...If you try it before I do, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment