Thursday, June 9, 2011

Marry Your Fruits and Vegetables

Since I used to turn my nose up at vegetables, I don't remember having many green salads as a kid. I remember nothing but fruit cocktail and jello salads. As I got a little older, tossed salads began creeping into my diet. I remember the first green salads I ate were covered in thick 1000 Island or Ranch dressing and topped with shredded cheese and croutons. Somewhere underneath was a bed of iceberg lettuce with a few slices of carrots or celery. 
Salads have come a long way in the last few years...both for me personally and in the culinary world in general. It's not uncommon for me to have a salad as my entree, and every restaurant in town seems to offer a dizzying array of choices. Now I prefer mixed greens with a light dressing that doesn't overwhelm the freshness of the vegetables...And much to my surprise, some of my favorite salads today include marrying the fresh veggies with a touch of fruit. 
I've really developed a taste for the popular spinach salad with dried cranberries and feta, but last night we discovered a new fruit and veggie salad twist: Grilled Peach Salad. We topped fresh peaches and Romaine lettuce from Daisy Mae's Market with fresh crumbled Greek feta from Gibbs Cheese at Findlay Market and came out with an absolutely delicious summer salad. 
If you're stuck in a mealtime rut, try introducing fruit to the vegetables in your salad bowl. Flavors that you may think have no business on the same plate may actually prove to be a marriage made in heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment