Thursday, June 2, 2011

Top Chef, Daisy Mae Style

Around our house, Dad has always been the featured chef. When the kids weren't calling me the "Casserole Queen" or complaining about my meatloaf, they were asking Dad to make a pasta, bake homemade bread, or fire up the grill. Even though Dad receives most of the attention in the kitchen, it has never bothered me because I come out ahead when delicious meals appear effortlessly on our table.
Having our daughter home from college this summer has ramped up the cooking again. Not only is Dad back at it making her favorites, but the college kid has become Chef #2. She's taken a real interest in developing her culinary skills, and it's been a welcome relief to have Chef #2 in charge of an occasional meal. Now dinner conversation has turned to marinades, spices, and techniques, and rather than be totally left out, I decided it was time to pull out all my Google and Food Channel resources and join in the fun.
The other night I made a Vegetable and Beef Stir-Fry with Brown Rice that received 5 stars from the other Top Chefs in the family. I started with a flank steak that I marinated a few hours. Then I chopped up a bunch of fresh vegetables from Daisy Mae's Market at Findlay Market.  After a quick stir-fry, I served it over rice and the judges went wild.
I may not be the Top Chef in the family YET, but at least I'm back in the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment